Camping at Grundy Lake last year over Canada Day long weekend.
Here’s another instalment in my Throwback Thursday series.
1. Limblifter, Mod Club, July 24, 2004 - This was the first time I had ever been to the Mod Club. The lights blew me away. I really liked this picture for a long time.
2. Belvedere, Music Centre, Burlington, November 5, 2005 - When we got to this show, it was sold out and the parking lot was crammed with kids that wanted to get in. Luckily, I ran into Steve, singer/guitarist of Belvedere, and he got me and my friend in on his overbooked guest list. This was the last time I saw Belvedere before they broke up. Thankfully they got back together in 2011.
3. Only Crime, Warped Tour, Barrie, August 14, 2004
4. Slick Shoes, The Embassy, London, April 21, 2003
5. Big D and the Kids Table, Warped Tour, Barrie, August 2, 2003
6. Heart Murmur, Virus Arts, April 26, 2003
7. Captain Everything!, The Underground, Hamilton, June 12, 2004 - I had never heard of Captain Everything! until they opened up for Belvedere at the Kathedral in Toronto a few days earlier. Their stage banter is some of the best I’ve ever heard. I bought their cd at that first show and had it memorized for this show.
8. And Hell Followed, Fun Haus, April 28, 2005 - Another band I discovered when they opened for Belvedere. In addition to their music, I also liked how they repped Bloor/Ossington multiple times throughout their set.
9. Hot Hot Heat, The Edge, April 23, 2005
10. Belvedere, The 360, February 26, 2005 - One of the only shows I shot with my Canon PowerShot Pro1.
April 16, 2014
Mounties, Lee’s Palace, April 5, 2014. One of the better shows I’ve seen in a while. Thrash Rock Legacy will be the soundtrack to my summer.
This is the first entry in my Throwback Thursday series. The series will consist of older photos I’ve taken on random point and shoot cameras and whatever I can remember from each photo.
1. The Von Bondies, Lee’s Palace, May 30, 2009 – This was my first and only time seeing the Von Bondies, sadly. Jason Stollsteimer is an awesome singer/songwriter. He played a song I was unfamiliar with at the end of the show, just him and his guitar. I remember it being one of the best things I’ve ever heard.
2. Lady Sovereign, Lee’s Palace, May 1, 2009 – Ya I like the S.O.V. I remember it being a good show, good crowd and lots of bass.
3. NOFX, Kool Haus, October 9, 2008 – That’s El Hefe playing in front of Talli “She’s Nubs” Osborne. This was the second date of two shows at The Kool Haus in which I saw them play. I’ve seen NOFX so many times, I don’t remember anything specific about this show. I do remember them opening their set the night before with The Decline, their 18 minute song. Unreal.
4. Santigold, The Guvernment, September 24, 2008 – I think Santigold was still going by Santogold at that point. Anyway, this was a free show and the first time I saw her. I remember being blown away by her performance and her dancers. I fell in love with her music at the Virgin Megastore on the Champs Elysees in Paris in June of that year.
5. The Fratellis, V-Fest, September 6, 2008 – On that same day where I sampled Santigold’s album, I sampled The Fratellis Here We Stand which was released just a couple of weeks earlier. I was hearing songs from the previous album at random places throughout that trip in London and Dublin as well. Seeing them for the first time at V-Fest a few months later brought back memories of that awesome vacation.
6. Alexisonfire, Much Parking Lot, June 16, 2007 – This was a rehearsal for the MMVAs.
7. Sloan Tribute Show, The Boat, February 16, 2006 – I think this was a show where bands were playing Sloan songs. I’m pretty sure it wasn’t planned, but Chris Murphy of Sloan was there and ended up playing with one of the bands.
8. The Bicycles, The Boat, February 11, 2006
9. L.A.N.D., The Boat, February 11, 2006 – I don’t remember much from this show except that L.A.N.D. , which was Lullabye Archestra + No Dynamics playing together, rocked so hard. I remember loving every second of No Dynamics’ drummer drumming.
10. Belvedere, Wax Nightclub, Kitchener, November 6, 2005 – I must have seen Belvedere 15-20 times over the years. This was on their farewell tour. I’m glad they reunited 6 years later and still play shows.
August 25, 2013
The New Pornographers played the CNE Bandshell last Saturday, August 17, 2013. I’ve seen them three or four times now. I think the first time was on a Saturday night, February 3, 2007 at Nathan Phillips Square. It was -27 degrees.
Like that first time, Neko Case was not there. Unlike that first time, it was a nice warm Saturday night in Toronto.
There’s something awesome about seeing good bands during the CNE. Maybe it just reminds me of one of the first shows I’ve ever seen, Rusty at the Bandshell in 1996. I still think of it as one of the best ever.
The Ex had a lot of great bands play that year, and the year after. Another fond memory there is of Pure playing Anna Is a Speed Freak…awesome. I don’t think I saw another Exhibition/Bandshell show after that year until Sloan in 2007. Now I’ll think of The New Pornographers amongst those great Exhibition day/Bandshell Nights.
June 24, 2013
On the Saturday of NXNE, June 15, 2013, I rode down to the Redpath Stage at Harbourfront Centre to see Kiz & Legin at 3pm. Kiz of Kiz & Legin is such a creative, multi-talented artist. With Legin on drums…these guys are awesome.
Their sound reminds me of my favourite era in music around 94-97/98. In them, I hear bands like Tristan Psionic, Poledo, early Sloan, Helium…so many others. Not in a cheesy, wish I was 16 kind of way, but I love the headspace their songs bring me to.
Later, I rode over Dundas Square to see Millencolin at 8pm then Billy Talent at 9pm. The crowd for Billy Talent was crazy. It’s been a while since I’ve been in such madness. While we’re reminiscing, I think the craziest, near death experience crowd I’ve been in was Green Day in the alley behind HMV on Yonge in 97. I loved it though.
Sunday, June 16, 2013, I rode back to Dundas Square to see Ludacris at 9ish pm. I hadn’t been to a Sunday NXNE show at the square since GZA back in 2009. Anyway, Luda’s got so many hits. Nice way to end another great NXNE.
June 22, 2013
On June 14, 2013 I rode over to see Hayden at Dundas Square at 7:30pm. I haven’t really followed the last half of his career but I really liked everything I heard. With the perfect weather, it was especially awesome to hear songs like The Hazards of Sitting Beneath Palm Trees, Bad As They Seem (!), Trees Lounge and In September. More on that era of music in another post…wait.
After Hayden, I took an indirect route over to the Mod Club to see July Talk perform at 10pm. They had really been building up the show a few days leading up to it and they delivered. Peter’s voice and stage presence is so powerful. It’s almost scary. Don’t show him a beachball. His yells when away from the mic are just about as loud as their instruments. And with Leah’s sweet voice and playfulness…I’ll go see them every time they’re in town.
June 20, 2013
On June 13, 2013, in preparation for the next few days of NXNE show’s I would be attending, I bought a bike, bell, lock and helmet.
My first ride was down to Dundas Square to see The Flatliners at 7pm. I’ve seen them many times over the years and they never disappoint. The rain couldn’t even ruin their set.
After waiting inside the Eaton Centre hoping the rain would pass, I took a rainy ride down to the Bovine to see Kiz & Legin at 9pm. I haven’t seen them since I’ve become more familiar with their music and they have released a new album in that time. More on them in another post…wait.
Here's a sloppy video I took of them performing MILLION.
I left right after Kiz & Legin and rode a few blocks over to the Horseshoe to catch DIANA’s set at 10pm. The show was a little delayed with some technical difficulties but Carmen was talking to the crowd, which was pretty entertaining itself. I’ve fallen more in love with their music after their set especially after hearing some of their new songs. My most anticipated release of the year. August 20th, can’t wait!
Here's a video I took of them performing Perpetual Surrender.
June 18, 2013
I saw CHVRCHES for the second time when they played The Hoxton in Toronto on June 12, 2013. It was nice hearing a bunch of their new songs. Sounds like the new album is going to be really good. Looking forward to it!
Next time I’ll get a photo of Iain!
This was my first time at the Hoxton. I must say I was impressed. The staff seemed nice. I liked the layout of the place, the stage, the lights and sound. The bass was unreal. I thought my lungs were gonna collapse.
March 26, 2013
The third CMW show I saw this year was Limblifter at The Legendary Horseshoe Tavern on Friday the 22nd.
I kept an eye on Ryan Dahle’s pedals hoping he would do a double whammy like he did last time. I also got thinking about how it would be awesome to see him play with his brother Kurt (a favourite drummer of mine) again then how I’d love to hear that last little bit of the Enya solo and I Don’t Mind and…Age of Electric reunion…make it happen!
Watch a video I took at this show of them playing Wake Up To The Sun on my Youtube channel.